Petaluma’s Historic Depot
Home of the Petaluma Visitors Center
Petaluma’s historic depot now serves as the Petaluma Visitors Center. These structures were constructed in 1871 for the San Francisco and North Pacific Railroad, which later became the Northwestern Pacific Railroad. In 1914 the buildings were converted to freight depot then proceeded to build the existing passenger depot and baggage building.
In 2003 SMART approved a 25-year lease to the City of Petaluma for the revitalization of the existing 3 buildings. The SMART train will operate as a passenger train from Larkspur to Cloverdale. The SMART train will be active sometime in 2017. This new depot, along with the Petaluma Visitors Center, will become the epicenter of travel for the city. The Petaluma Visitors Center provides travelers with information about the area, and places to see in our great city.